This is a part-time 20-25 hour a week position from about August 1st, 2017-May 31st, 2018. Approximate hours/schedule will be 12:00 pm-6:30 pm Monday-Thursday. The position pays $16/hour with a $1,000 bonus for successful completion at the end of May. You must have a driver’s license, clean driving record, pass a background check/work in schools, and obtain a safe food handling certification (if not already in possession) within 30 days of hire.
POSITION SUMMARY: Do you enjoy getting kids excited about eating fruits and veggies? Do you dream about having your own Food Network TV show that teaches kids and adults how to cook healthy food? If so, this job could be perfect for you!
Our Food Education Assistant position brings food and education to life joyfully through education and cooking activities at free, monthly pop-up markets known as Joyful Food Markets. This is an ideal job for someone who has a deep passion for and commitment to impacting positive change among D.C. families and communities. Join Martha’s Table as we continue expanding the Joyful Food Markets program that increases access to healthy food while encouraging healthy eating among elementary age children and their families. Our Food Education Assistant is a part-time (20-25 hour/week) position. You will support the Food Education Team by preparing food and materials for markets as well as attending and leading instructional activities at select market locations. Join an exciting team and growing organization as we continue to build our Joyful Food Market model!
** While not required, preference will be given to those either living in Wards 7 and 8; or those with experience working in the Wards.**
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for assisting the Food Education Team with recipe preparation, organizing food and demo supplies, prepping food and cooking recipes for all markets.
- Ensure all food and other items are stored properly, following strict and mandatory food safety guidelines. Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash etc. Perform other kitchen duties as assigned.
- Support Market Leaders in set-up, delivery and strike of market events.
Food Education at Markets:
- Under the direction of the Food Education Manager, conduct educational activities tailored to elementary school-aged children and their parents/caretakers to encourage consumption of nutritious meals (with a focus on fruits and vegetables). Joyful Food Markets and other Martha’s Table market events as assigned.
- Attend a minimum of nine (9) markets a month and lead on-site food education and demo activities. Support various specials events, workshops and classes both inside and outside of Martha’s Table.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
High School Diploma, relevant College Courses, Culinary/Culinary Education, OR equivalent years of relevant work experience
- Must have experience working with children and enjoy working with them
- Must have proven experience working in a kitchen and/or food, nutrition setting and a passion for healthy eating
- Must be able to work as part of a team and with the community in a respectful, positive, energetic way that builds trust and encourages dialogue
- Possess Safe Serve/Prometric License and/or be able to obtain Safe Serve/Prometric License within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Must pass a background check/work in schools and have a valid driver’s license.
- While not required, preference will be given to those either living in Wards 7 and 8; or those with experience working in the Wards.
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Must be able to pass a background test in order to meet requirements to work in elementary schools
- Must be able to obtain a safe food handling certification (if not already in possession) within 30 days of hire.
Benefits & Perks include:
- Paid Time Off (PTO) per the institutional standard policy
- Twelve (12) paid holidays
- Employee discount for the Healthy Start education program (FTEs - 50% discount; PTEs-25% discount)
- DC Commuter Benefits
- Bereavement Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
- Worker’s Compensation
- Daily staff lunch
- Access to “Joyful Food Market” once a month