This is a part-time 20-25 hour a week position from about August 1st, 2017-May 31st, 2018. Hours will be about 12:00 pm-6:30 pm Tuesday-Thursday. The position pays $16/hour with a $1,000 bonus for successful completion at the end of May. You must have a driver’s license, clean driving record and pass a background check.
Position Summary: Are you interested in providing a great food experience while ensuring that children receive the food that they need to thrive day to day? Do you enjoy serving others while providing outstanding customer service and a flawless grocery shopping experience?
Our Market Assistant position is the perfect marriage of customer service and social service, creating the ideal job for someone who enjoys retail while getting the daily satisfaction of helping others. Join Martha’s Table as we continue our expanding Joyful Food Market program that increases access to healthy food while encouraging healthy eating for elementary age children and their families. Our Market Assistant is a part-time position. You will work side-by-side with a Joyful Food Market Leader to create an energetic market experience, including handling food logistics and market set-up and tear-down, customer service and volunteer management. Join an exciting team and growing organization as we continue to build our Joyful Food Market model.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Working alongside Market Leader to produce monthly markets in elementary schools in Ward 7 and 8
- Supporting Market Leader with a number of market-related tasks including, but not limited to: inventory management, tracking and maintaining supplies (including vans), create/update shopping list and signage, data collection and management, and coordinating with schools regarding food deliveries
- Participating in hands-on training and receiving instruction and feedback from the Market Leader to successfully and independently coordinate a limited number of markets each month
- Assisting with greeting, thanking and training volunteers to cultivate meaningful service experience
- School Partnership Management/Engagement:
- Assisting with the production of monthly flyers for school markets
- Working with the Market Leaders to distribute flyers before and on the day of markets to encourage/increase participate
- Collaborating with Market Leader to test and develop ways to increase market attendance, share feedback with school partners, and analyze effectiveness of efforts
- Special Projects:
- Support with special projects and other duties as assigned by Market Leader, Assistant Director, Healthy Market Program and/or Director, Healthy Eating Program
- Attend team meetings and brainstorming sessions; share feedback and ideas to improve market experience
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma/GED; open to students currently working toward obtaining degree(s)
- Strong preference for those who have worked in retail/grocery setting before AND/OR experience working with families, students, or schools.
- Must be comfortable regularly lifting and moving boxes of food and supplies
- Team player with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude
- Excellent interpersonal, decision-making and organizations skills
- Positive, dynamic and proactive approach to work; strong work ethic.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to think broadly and creatively.
- Able to relate and communicate in a variety of settings with multiple constituent groups.
- Willing to learn and committed to social change.
- Must be comfortable working with Word and Excel, Gmail/Google Suite.
- While not required, preference will be given to those either living in Wards 7 & 8 or those with experience working there.
- Markets are held Tuesday-Friday from 2-6pm in Wards 7 & 8.
Licensure/Certifications: Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license with a clean driving record AND be able to pass a background test/work in schools.
Benefits & Perks include:
· Paid Time Off (PTO) per the institutional standard policy
· Twelve paid holidays
· Employee discount for the Healthy Start education program (FTEs - 50% discount; PTEs-25% discount)
· DC Commuter Benefits
· Bereavement Leave
· Jury Duty Leave
· Worker’s Compensation
· Daily staff lunch
· Access to “Joyful Food Market” once a month