Schedule: Saturday and Sunday 12 - 7 pm (occasional Monday or Friday, based on holidays)
Number of Hours: Approximately 14 - 20 hours/week
Martha’s Table believes everyone deserves both dignity and opportunity. More than one-third of D.C. residents still struggle to make ends meet and provide for their families. For 30 years and counting, we have worked to build a better future through healthy food, affordable clothing, and quality education. For more information, please visit www.marthastable.org.
Under the direction of the Weekend Kitchen Manager, the Kitchen Assistant is responsible for volunteer supervision and the preparations for the McKenna’s Wagon evening program on the weekend. This includes providing a welcoming environment for all volunteers, general oversight of the food prep and loading dock areas, accepting and storing donations, and assisting elsewhere as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with the supervision of volunteers, to include: assistance and instruction on knife safety, proper sanitation, providing clean aprons; and general food preparation that provides the demonstration of food prep techniques.
- Work with Weekend Kitchen Manager to determine volunteer activities for the day, ensuring proper rotation and utilization of donated and purchased food.
- Assist with the implementation of the McKenna’s Wagon evening program, to include: preparing the food, loading the vans, and as needed riding with other volunteers to distribution sites.
- Responsible for ensuring that all donated food is properly accepted, labeled, stored, and rotated; and used in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Responsible for the cleaning of supper and snack containers, small wares, pots, pans, and any dishes used throughout the volunteer shift.
- Responsible for cleaning of the walk in, freezer, stove, laundry prep area and loading dock are kept clean and organized, including the coffee station/break area, and water machine.
- Responsible for properly recycling and sorting all cardboard, glass, plastic and cans, as well as, disposing of all other trash generated by the kitchen and food prep area.
- Assisting in the preparation of the holiday dinners (such as: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) (dinners are typically scheduled the Sunday before the actual holiday).
- Act as back-up driver for McKenna's Wagon as needed.
- Responsible for performing other kitchen duties as assigned.
Experience: At least two (1) year of experience in the food services industry
Education: High School Diploma
Licensure/Certifications: DC Food Handlers Certification, Must have valid US Driver’s License